Friday, March 20, 2009

Republicans Gone Wild: Michigan Congressional Delegation

Say it isn't so....

Michigan has seven Republican members of Congress. Six of them - SIX! - voted in favor of the unconstitutional, retroactive, ridiculous 90% tax on corporate bonuses paid by A.I.G. Only Rep. Thaddeus McCotter had the good sense to see it for what it is.

I wrote yesterday about Congress and the Administration knowing for A YEAR about these bonuses, and how Chris Dodd specifically exempted them from penalties in the SwindleUs bill because they were 'contractual obligations'. Congress has no power or authority to break private contracts.

So what is WRONG with these people? I know some of them personally and I know they are not ignorant. If there is a good excuse for this behavior, I'd love to hear it. Perhaps they're hoping for political cover, counting on the courts to toss this rubbish because it is - and it IS - unconstitutional? That's pretty spineless.

To say I am 'disappointed' in them doesn't begin to describe it. They're breaking my heart. If we can't count on Republicans to vote against this lunacy, we really have no hope of saving America. I'm sure this won't make me very popular with the GOP, but intellectual honesty demands I do more than serve as a cheerleader. My country comes before my party.

I will be contacting Representatives Camp, Ehlers, Hoekstra, Miller, Rogers and Upton to tell them what I just told you. Then I will contact Rep. McCotter's office to thank him for standing alone against the madness. Join me, won't you?

No comments: