Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day Memorial

Many things come to mind when pondering the celebration of Memorial Day... parades, cook-outs, time off work spent with friends and family...

There are many eloquent essays on the sacrifices and heroism represented by Memorial Day, too. I considered trying to add my own to the list, but in the end, I came up with one simple phrase that says everything I have to say.... "Thank You!"

It is at once whole and wholly inadequate. But there is nothing else. I am free to do this...this blogging thing...because someone else bravely and selflessly paid for my freedom. Hopefully, I will never lose sight of what a tremendous gift this is.

If you see a soldier - anywhere, any time, under any circumstances - please.... approach them with respect and say thank you. Nothing more. They don't expect it. But they deserve it.

No comments: