Thursday, July 24, 2008

Most Richly Blessed

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Jars of Clay

I found this poem, attributed to an anonymous Civil War soldier, when doing some reading recently. It reminds me of many people, including myself.

"I asked God for Strength
that I might achieve.
I was made Weak
that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for Health
that I might do greater things.
I was given Infirmity
that I might do better things.

I asked for Riches
that I might be happy.
I was given Poverty
that I might be wise.

I asked for Power
that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness
that I might find the need of God.

I asked for All Things
that I might enjoy life.
I was given Life
that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for,
but everything I Hoped for.
Almost despite myself,
my unspoken prayers were answered.

I AM MOST RICHLY BLESSED"

No comments: