Monday, April 20, 2009

What's In A Name?

I'm often asked about the origins of my online nic - and almost everyone gets it all wrong - so here's the 'rest of the story'.

You will recall, Crumb Crunchers, that during his campaign for the Presidency our Dear Leader described his own grandmother as "a typical white person". Well. That didn't sit too well with me, so I started thinking about creating a nic that would express my opinion of his comment.

The first part was easy: Grammy. My young granddaughters call me Grammy, so I had the grandmother angle covered. Now what else would pair well with that? In the strange and mysterious recesses of my fertile brain I found the perfect answer: Cracker. Meant to be a racial slur, it's really just funny - at least to me. I thought of Uncle Kracker. Hey, if it's good enough for him, why not? It's also quite fitting, since I'm about the whitest white girl on the planet. Bwaaah!

So we have..... Grammy Cracker! Ta-da! It's a great play on words, is a bit politically incorrect (bonus!) and brings us full-circle back to the whole 'white grandmother' line. The only thing left to do was Photoshop the 'Honkey Maid' cracker box (another laughable 'slur') and I was good to go.

There you have it, then. I have just one request: the Cracker is singular. As in not plural. As in no 's' on the end. I am a one-of-a-kind, not-your-typical white Cracker. And the world breathes a collective sigh of relief.

No comments: