Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Ravin'

I wrote the original version of this poem two years ago when Michigan, in the throes of a budget standoff and massive deficits, stood on the brink of a government shut down. Our Governor did not learn from that experience; on the contrary. We now face an even larger deficit and plummeting revenues due to high unemployment, tanking property values and mass population exodus to 'greener pastures'.  Now as then, the Governor's only solution is higher taxes on the few who remain. Of course.

With that in mind, and my sincere apologies to Edgar Allan Poe for poetic license taken, I offer the following commentary on Michigan's current down-to-the-wire budget negotiations.

My Ravin'
by Grammy Cracker

Once upon a midday dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a politician's proposed budget fixes,
While I listened, nearly snapping, suddenly there came a yapping,
An irritating, droning yapping, yapping from my radio.
''Tis the Governor,' I muttered, 'yapping from my radio.'
Quote Ms. Granholm, 'Tax some more!'

Ah, distinctly I remember the elections that November,
And each brazen lie the Governor's campaign told.
Eagerly I wished for Wednesday and the news that she was history,
But the day was filled with sorrow - sorrow for the lost DeVos -
For the fine and decent candidate the voters did ignore.
Quote Ms. Granholm, 'Tax some more!'

Now my state is in a pickle, and with a Governor so fickle
Comes word she will not the reckless spending stop.
She wants instead to keep it lax and impose another tax.
Another tax upon the people? Let me tell you, that is evil!
We should have shown Jenny the door.
Quote Ms. Granholm, 'Tax some more!'

Residents will flee the state, and at Jenny's present rate
No one will be left at last, left to pay her lousy tax!
We'll remember - next November - all who pass a tax increase.
They will have to look for work; in 2010 their goose is cooked.
Say it with me, loud and clear: We won't take it, Governor!
Quote the people, 'Never More!'

No comments: